As we enter deeper into Hurricane Season here in Florida Compass Health wanted to reach out with this friendly reminder that proper preparation now, BEFORE a storm is on the horizon, will alleviate some stress, fear, and panic when the time arrives. Below are some helpful tips to guide you in your hurricane preparedness planning. For more information on State of Florida recommendations and up to date information on this years hurricane season you can explore the state website Click here.
1. Develop an Evacuation Plan:
- Find out if you live in an evacuation zone
- Plan your route out
- Follow evacuation orders
- Plan for your pets
- Further information on shelters click here:
2. Gather Supplies: Hurricane Kit:
- Food & Water
- List of Medications, Diagnoses, Physicians, Important people
- Batteries, Radio, Charges
- First Aid kit
- Pet supplies
- Face covering, hand sanitizer
3. Check your Insurance Coverage:
- Call your agent
- Keep important health insurance, life insurance, home owners insurance
documentation with you
- Know what your policy covers
- Consider flood insurance
- Video walk through of your home for proof of content in case a claim needs to
4. Strengthen your home:
- Check the generator- make sure you give it a maintenance run and have plenty
of gas available and stored safely.
- Purchase the necessary amount of extension cords required to power items like
refrigerator, fans, air conditioning units
- Check that hurricane shutters are properly functioning and that you have all
bolts and screws present.
- Trim trees
- Secure loose outdoor furniture
- Secure all doors
- Move your car to a safe spot
Wishing you all a happy, healthy & hurricane free summer!