When we sell Florida Blue Health Insurance plans to our customers the number one item we discuss is almost always “Network”. The reason we do that is so if our clients become ill especially if it is serious that they can get treatment at the Nation’s top hospitals from the top specialists. An example we commonly use is Cancer treatment. If your client or a member of their family is diagnosed with Cancer, they want to be able to seek treatment at places like “The Mayo Clinic” or “Johns Hopkins”. So, they are buying Health Insurance coverage to get the best treatment possible in the case of a major life-threatening illness.
So, if the worst happens and your client needs to receive treatment for cancer they will need more than just Great Treatment. They will need “Income Replacement” to be able to pay for:
- Health Insurance Premiums
- Mortgage or Rent
- Auto Payments
- Other Everyday Expenses
- Non-Covered Experimental Treatment
Not being prepared for both the physical treatment and financial problems caused by Cancer can cause severe “Financial Toxicity” as stated by the American Cancer Society. When you are diagnosed with cancer, the following factors in your household may affect your risk of financial toxicity:
- Whether you make the most money for your household
- How much money other people in your household make
- How much debt you had before you were diagnosed with cancer
- Your assets
- Costs related to your cancer
- How cancer and its treatment affect your ability to work
- Whether you have health and disability insurance and what they cover
You and your family may have the following problems because of your cancer diagnosis:
- Less income and assets
- Debt because of the cost of your cancer care
- Trouble paying for housing, food, and bills
One thing nobody seems to think about until it is too late is the financial destruction a major illness can cause for not just the patient but their family. Do not let the fear of asking cause your clients to suffer.
Selling Living Benefits can help your clients and increase your income. Take the opportunity over this summer to call your clients and help complete their Health Insurance plans with the addition of Life with Living Benefits.