First, I want to personally thank you for all of your hard work and dedication during this year AEP season!!
AEP has not been extended, if you have heard any rumors. We do have an available FEMA SEP due to Hurricane Ian and Nicole.
Medicare members in select counties have a special enrollment period due to the Hurricane Ian/Nicole state of emergency. This SEP applies to all Medicare Advantage or Part D prescription drug plan members who were not able to make a plan selection because of the hurricane.
In addition, the SEP is available to individuals who don’t live in the affected areas but rely on the help of friends or family members who live in one of these counties for making health care decisions.
Here are important enrollment reminders:
- Agencies/Agents may not market the FEMA SEP; however, please be aware of all available SEPs in order to help beneficiaries who believe they missed an election period due an emergency or disaster.
- When using the FEMA SEP, agents should always:
- Ask the beneficiary if they can show proof that they live/lived in an impacted area at the start of the SEP eligibility period
- If the beneficiary does not have proof, ask them to verbally attest
- Confirm the beneficiaries had another election period available during the time of the incident period that they were unable to utilize due to the disaster or other emergency
- Once verified, use election code SEP-DST on the application o If using Sales Connect, use “I was affected by a weather-related emergency or disaster (as declared by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). One of the other statements here applied to me, but I was unable to make my enrollment because of the natural disaster” option.
Here is a quick snapshot of the counties the SEP is available from both storms.
(772) 546-2299 Ext. 121